It is estimated that Canadians use 2.86 billion plastic bags every year. The average Canadian uses between 200-300 bags per year. If tied together the grand total of 2.86 billion plastic bags would stretch around the Earth’s equator 22 times. Marine mammals and seabirds can not survive our plastic pollution. Surfrider Pacific Rim has been working to challenge this reality through the Ban the Bag Campaign, and in the spring of 2018, Surfrider Pacific Rim presented on the Ban the Bag achievements to the District of Tofino and the District of Ucluelet. On June 26, 2018, the District of Tofino responded to this presentation by passing a Motion to regulate all single-use plastics! To read the Motion, click HERE.
2018 – Surfrider Pacific Rim goals include:
- Voluntary plastic bag ban for business!
- Education on single use plastics through our LYBC, RAP, and YES program
- Community Survey on plastic bag use, finished by February 2018.
- Ban the Bag presentation for the District of Tofino Council in April and for the District of Ucluelet Council in May, which discussed our success over the last year as well as the City of Victoria’s Ban the Bag Bylaw which can be read here.
- Plastic bag/waste free events.
- Assisting more businesses to eliminate plastic bags, so that we can move towards our final goal of having 80% of businesses plastic bag free by April 2019!
Ban the Bag 2017 Achievements
- Free reusable bag box at the Tofino Co-Op Grocery and Ucluelet Co-Op Grocery! Bring in reusable bags to fill, and take some if you need!
- MAJOR SUCCESS! Both Co-Ops in Tofino and Ucluelet eliminated single use plastic bags! Paper bags can be purchased for 10 cents, and reusable bags can also be purchased.
- “Bag It” film night with panel board experts on plastic bags in both Tofino and Ucluelet
- Creation of the Stitch ‘n’ Beach group which meets once monthly in Ucluelet and Tofino, with the goal of making reusable fabric bags, and hosting workshops that create alternatives to plastic products like beeswax wrap! In 2017 we created over 2000 reusable bags. Check out the next event here: Events Calendar