Cigarette butts are the last socially acceptable form of litter
The Hold On To Your Butt campaign aims to raise awareness about the environmental impact of cigarette butt litter on our oceans, waves and beaches. Our goal is to eliminate cigarette butt litter in Tofino & Ucluelet and beyond.
Cigarette butts are found littering streets, sidewalks and public spaces. These butts not only pose a waste management challenge for local governments financially and logistically, they also can find there way to the marine environment, as run off in storm drains. In the marine environment, they pose a threat to marine life and a health and safety risk to individuals.
The campaign originated in San Diego in 2004, and now the Pacific Rim has joined the movement installing cigarette canisters throughout Tofino and Ucluelet. We have partnered with TerraCycle who will recycle the cigarette butts into new products!
Environmental Impact of Cigarette Butts
- 4.95 trillion cigarette butts are disposed of in our environment annually, thrown onto the ground an beaches
- Cigarette butts leach toxins when wet, they contain up to 60 known carcinogens, and they leach chemicals such as cadmium, lead and arsenic within an hour of contact with the water.
- Cigarette butt filters are made of cellulose acetate, a non-biodegradable plastic, which can take up to 25 years to decompose
- Cigarette butts have been ingested by sea turtles, birds, dolphins and other marine life, and in addition to the toxic chemicals they contain, these butts can also cause digestive blockages that lead to death.
- Cigarette butts are the most prevalent type of debris collected in beach clean-ups around the world, and they are consistently the number one form of litter (by count) found on our local beaches.
- On Pacific Rim beaches last year, more than 3,000 cigarette butts were collected during beach clean ups by volunteers! And more daily by the community and other groups in the communities.
- Litter clean up costs the over 11 billion annually in the US.
- Cigarette butts pose a significant fire threat.
Your business or organization can work with Surfrider Pacific rim, and sponsor a canister in a HOT BUTT location identified, and immediately improve our communities. Your sponsorship and leadership will help reduce the impact of cigarette butt litter on our oceans, waves and beaches. You will be recognized here on Surfrider Pacific Rim website and through other media outlets for your contribution to our community.
Community canisters are installed in locations approved by our local partners, who are responsible for maintenance and emptying the canisters within public areas. Surfrider Pacific Rim have already partnered with several business and we intend to expand those partnerships and continue to reduce cigarette butt litter in our environment. Only with YOUR HELP. We will need business to also take responsibility for emptying canisters and collecting butts, and work with volunteers to get butts to the central drop zone at public works, from there butts will be sent to Terracycle for recycling into new industrial products.
Lets make cigarette butt littering socially unacceptable and share the education!! Become part of the solution instead of being part of the pollution!
Current HOTYB partners!
Current HOTYB canister locations (under this title I would add the text below)
If you do not happen to be near one of these entrances when discarding a butt, or have picked up a butt that has been littered and there is no canister in sight, HOLD ON to it until you get to the nearest location below!
- District of Tofino
- District of Ucluelet
- Wickaninnish Inn
- Jamie’s Whaling Station
- Royal Canadian Legion Branch #65
- WOLF in the FOG
- Howler’s Family Restaurant and Amusements
- EOA Emporium Of Awesome
Please join Surfrider Pacific Rim and kindly help direct smokers to these canisters, and let them know their butts will be recycled!
Current HOTYB Canister locations:
- Tofino Municipality office
- Tofino Skatepark
- Tofino 1st st dock (by picnic tables)
- Tonquin Beach entrance (on side the washroom)
- North Chesterman beach washrooms (in between washroom doors)
- South Chesterman beach washrooms (facing out to car park)
- Royal Canadian Legion
- Wolf in the fog
- Wickaninnish Inn
- Ucluelet Community Centre
- Ucluelet landing (by the stairs at Main and Peninsula)
- Ucluelet Promenade (on the stair railig in middle in front of village green)
- Barkley Cafe
- Howlers Restaurant & Emporium of Awesome (corner of building)
- Tofino Hospital: front entrance and side entrance
- Studio One – on pillar next to Live to Surf
- Jamie’s Rainforest Inn – entrance
- Ecolodge: car park under tin building
- Crystal Cove: shower building, beach entrance, and staff area
- Pacific Sands: beside front desk, both beach entrances, and Surfside Grill
- Tin Wis: Carving shed at the back of car park
- Ocean Village: entrance and BBQ area
- Long Beach Lodge Resort: car park close to entrance, BBQ area
- Shelter Restaurant – all three throughout car park
- Tree House Gift Co (awaiting instalment, location TBD)
- Ice House Oyster Bar (awaiting instalment, but it will most likely be on dock next to restaurant)
- Outside of Tuff Beans
- Officials Sports Lounge, Ucluelet: Entrance
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be part of this epic campaign, buy a private canister, or volunteer for the HOTYB team!
HOLD ONTO YOUR BUTTS! Hashtag any butts you want to share #HOTYB!