Surfrider Pacific Rim also received a System Change Grant from the Vancouver Foundation in December 2019, for the Ocean Friendly Corridor scale project. This project is addressing plastic pollution on the Pacific Rim by challenging the roots of this issue by eliminating single use plastics, implementing circular economic practices and working with youth, businesses, and local governments to enact positive change for our coastline. By scaling our response from eliminating a few plastic items to all single use plastics, we are working to change the behaviour of our region by assisting in the implementation of plastic bans, working with businesses to help them eliminate plastics, empowering youth to continue leading this system change, and creating a pathway for this system to be replicated throughout the province. By 2022, our goal is to create an Ocean Friendly Corridor between Tofino and Ucluelet, and mentor 4 coastal communities in becoming Ocean Friendly.
Contact email@example.com if your business would like to participate in the OFB Campaign, or if you’re interested in learning more or getting involved in the Ocean Friendly Corridor scale project.
Businesses registered as Ocean Friendly in 2019
- Caravan Beach Shop,
- Live to Surf
- The Distillery
- Cedar Wood Cove
- Pacific Sands Beach Resort
- Middle Beach Lodge
- Ocean Outfitters
- Ocean Village Resort
- Hello Nature Adventure Tours
- Summit Bakery
- Heartwood Kitchen
- Treehouse Gifts
- Cedarwood Cove
- Ucluelet Aquarium
2017/2018 Campaign Highlights:
- All surf shops have implemented wetsuit recycling
- two businesses have eliminated to-go coffee packaging, two other businesses have implemented Ugly Mug Walls, and every business that still has takeout coffee packaging offers a discount for people with their own mugs or charges for takeout mugs.
- five businesses have implemented composting thanks to Tofino Urban Farm Co.
- every business has eliminated some form of single use plastic (ex. toothpicks, plastic wrapped candies, clothing packaging, plastic stirrers, plastic folders)
- fourteen businesses are plastic water bottle free, 12 businesses also eliminated other plastic bottles like juices
- every business has implemented a progressive recycling practice (ex. writing utensils, printer cartridges, electronics, amenities)
- all businesses are plastic bag free
- all businesses recycle cigarette butts through the Hold On To Your Butt Campaign or they are a smoke free property
- all businesses are compliant with the Straws Suck Campaign
- nine businesses have or will be participating in the Love Your Beach Clean Program
- No business uses styrofoam and any styrofoam received is recycled or sent back to the supplier. Many businesses send the styrofoam back, leading suppliers to package products without styrofoam in future shipments
- Among the businesses that serve food, five businesses offer compostable takeaway packaging, one business offers only reusable containers, and three businesses have reusable containers for staff
We are stoked to continue this campaign with the goal of working towards a circular economy, a single use plastic free Pacific Rim, and Ocean Friendly towns!
Additional Goals Include:
- Creating a platform for businesses to share sustainable resources and progressive recycling outlets.
- Increase effectiveness of every Surfrider Pacific Rim campaign and program, which are included in the OFB Campaign
- Community events that feature the Ocean Friendly Business Campaign through the Tofino Chamber of Commerce and participating businesses.
Businesses Registered as Ocean Friendly in 2018:
- Jamie’s Whaling Station
- Surf Sister
- Zoe’s Bakery and Cafe
- Tofino Botanical Gardens & Ecolodge
- Wolf in Fog
- District of Ucluelet
- Long Beach Lodge Resort
- Wickanninish Inn
- Pacific Surf School
- Storm Surf
- Green Soul Organics
- Blackberry Cove
- Crystal Cove
- Tofino Paddle Surf
Check out our photo album on Facebook. OFB Album